Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Summer of Love*

Warning:  Contains spoiler.  Not for the conservative and homophobes :)

Seeing Emily Blunt in The Adjustment Bureau made me decide to search for all the films that she is in.  I realized that she was actually Emily in The Devil Wears Prada but maybe because she was not her charming self in that movie, she did not make a mark in me.  Then I remembered that she was the princess in Gulliver's Travel but it was easy to overlook her there.  In Sunshine Cleaning (with Amy Adams), she was also really good (and no, she was not a lesbian in that movie).  Then from reading her biography, I came across this article that mentioned a movie that said opened more doors for her in the movie industry -- *My Summer of Love.  She was probably 21 at that time and together with Amanda Press.  I was a bit shocked with what I saw and I don't know if the culture I saw in the film is true even in my country.  But that's beside the point.  The following are my thoughts on the movie and answer to some of the questions posted in the movie discussion board in IMDb.

1.  Tamsin (Blunt) loved Mona (Press) but she had a lot going on inside her mind (and probably heart) that she lied (i.e. about her sister dying of anorexia) and did some other stuffs that the viewers can only wonder if it's real or not (i.e. Tamsin being interested in Phil).  Meanwhile, Mona might be the naive one in the relationship but she was pure and true.

2.  I don't know why someone asked what the ending of the movie was all about but here is my answer:  Mona was so angry with being lied to and manipulated that instead of answering, she tried to choke and drown Tamsin in the river but she did not intend to kill the latter.

3.  Too bad that Phil's newfound faith crumbled right before Mona realized that her brother was right in warning her off from Tamsin.

4.  Tamsin got a brilliant mind and sometimes so brilliant it's scary.  She should be checked by a psychiatrist.

All in all, Blunt gave a superb performance.  It's no wonder that she received an award that goes something like "Promising emerging new actress".  She should have more movies that will allow her to display her full potential as an actress.  I don't know why but I like her best in drama and not so much in comedy (although she's great anywhere).  Anyhow, I look forward to seeing more of her in the big screen and I hope it's soon. :)





*posters from www.impawards.com

No comments:

Post a Comment